Wednesday 24 February 2010

Personality profile or preferred mode of communication?

Never say never!! I remember the first time I came across the DISC model that promised to tell you what type of person you are. I had the same respect for it as I had for the horiscope in a women's magazine - none whatsoever but a bit of fun! I have to admit that the groups we were put into at the time did show the traits of the personalities but I have always believed that we can and do change our responses to suit the situation.

I came across DISC again when I was trained as a facilitator. This time I was forced to reconsider my opinion because the person advocating it was my trainer, mentor and friend, Lyn Sykes. She stated that she used it frequently in helping her to deal with people. As Lyn is the most insightful person in dealing with people I have ever met, I had to take notice.

Four years later I have revised my opinion. I still don't believe that it gives an indication of your personality. However I have come to see it as an indication of your preferred mode of communication. This style can be influenced by your personality, your experiences and the situation you are in at the time. It has helped me deal with people, especially in situations where I feel I am not on the same 'wavelength'. It helps me to re-assess my approach and change in order to suit their communication style and has had some startling results.

Now I hope to further my knowledge by studying the Briggs Myers tests. So a lesson in never discounting experiences as useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment